Last updated January 6, 2022.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have learned how important it is to layer strategies to protect ourselves and our loved ones from COVID-19. Using multiple prevention strategies is especially important to stop contagious variants of COVID-19-- like omicron that is now circulating in Colorado.
CDPHE is providing free over-the-counter tests for parents, guardians, and caregivers to administer to school-aged children at-home.
The at-home testing program complements other tools in CDPHE’s COVID-19 toolbox, including in-school screening testing, free community testing sites, and other point-of-care testing programs.
These programs help ensure Coloradans have access to multiple free COVID-19 testing options.
Through ongoing testing, Coloradans can help slow the spread of COVID-19.
About the program
- Colorado is distributing free rapid COVID-19 over-the-counter (OTC) tests directly to resident’s homes. The program uses rapid antigen tests that show results within 15 minutes.
- This program has been specifically designed to provide parents, guardians, and caregivers some peace of mind by making it easy to test their children and help keep schools open.
Can I get free tests if I am not a parent, guardian, or caregiver?
- Yes. If you are not a parent, guardian, or caregiver, you may also use this program.
- All Coloradans can sign up for the Rapid At-Home COVID-19 testing program.
- There currently is unprecedented national demand for rapid tests, and we are proud to be the first state in the nation to provide these tests for free to Coloradans. Because of the increased demand it may take 2 weeks to get your order.
Please reach out to us if you use adaptive technology and need help filling out the form.
How it works
You will receive a confirmation email from CDPHE that your order has been placed. You will receive a second email from Amazon with tracking information once your order has shipped.
When you are ready to test, follow the instructions included in the test kit.
- Each order includes two tests. If you are interested in receiving multiple kits, you will need to reorder tests. Tests do not automatically ship on a recurring basis.
- If you have symptoms, you should get tested immediately and isolate. Visit Testing for COVID-19 for a list of free state-sponsored COVID-19 testing sites across the state.
- If you are a school district or school interested in learning more about free testing in schools, visit our Free COVID-19 School Screening Testing Program For Colorado Schools page.
- Please note: Over-the-counter test results may not be accepted as proof of negative results for some situations (travel, return to learn, employer mandated testing, etc.). Please review the specific guidance from the entity requiring testing in advance.
- This at-home testing program cannot be used for Colorado state employee testing requirements without a special accommodation. If you are a state employee looking for more information on testing, please contact your human resources representative or visit the Division of Human Resources' page on vaccination reporting and employee testing.
- Coloradans with questions can email CDPHE at email@example.com.